Sunday, November 16, 2014

My Great-Grandma's Closet

We were able to catch the last of the sun's light today to take some pictures with the coolest umbrella I have ever seen. This umbrella belonged to my great grandmother. I never had the chance to meet her, but it was so fun to get to see and hold something that was a part of her life. Even if it was just a small part that she probably didn't think about much. I'm in love with the pattern, the handle, and the shape of this umbrella it's just so stinking adorable! 


I don't know exactly what year this umbrella came from, but from what I've researched of umbrella's it looks like it could have belonged anywhere from the 1920's to the 1950's. 

Who's ready for a little history of umbrella's? 
Nobody really knows the true beginnings of umbrella's, because they've been around for so long, but it's believed that anciently leaves were used like umbrella's to shield people from the rain. Umbrella's were first commonly used as a shield from the sun rather than the rain. The term for these types of 'umbrella's' is a parasol. Umbrella's held a special significance in early China and Egypt where they were used to distinguish social status. Not all umbrella's started out being waterproof, we can thank Chinese innovation for their use of waterproof fabrics to keep themselves dry that started that trend. The umbrella's we use and see today were first introduced in the 1800's.
 The history of Umbrella's is very long and widespread throughout many different countries. If you're interested in learning a more in depth history of umbrella's you can click any of the links at the end of this post.  
I know, who takes pictures with an umbrella when it's not raining? Apparently me. :) 

Sources:


1 comment:

  1. Great post! I nominated you for the Liebster Award on my blog! Check it out here http://norahcoughlinxx.blogspot.com/2015/01/liebster-award.html

    xo, Norah

    ReplyDelete